The False Perception of a Goodbye

“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”

Jalaluddin Rumi

We often have a tendency to think goodbyes are concrete, that they are written in stone, and that they are, goodbye forever.

By definition, “goodbye” simply means- to extend good wishes at the end of a conversation; and some conversations, will continue for life.

Saturday and Sunday- January 28th and 29th, 2017

The goodbye.

I was called to the hospital room, to say goodbye. In hindsight, the conversation only lasted for about 5 minutes but in the moment, it felt the earth stood still. The words, jumbled and slurred, resonate with me for life. The apology and the promises.

I held the hand of the man who grew up with me, the man who helped raised me, the man who I would proudly call, my big brother.

And in that moment, I could only muster, I love you, slightly under my breath.

February 3rd, 2017

The longest day of my life, with a timeline of 48 hours passing, and breathing slowing, an eventual departure was becoming apparent.

February 4th, 2017

12:04 AM

With his brother gripping his left side and I, holding his right, one-last-breath.

This I believe, that there is no such thing as goodbye, there is no such thing as separation, there is only the temporary distance of physicality, which although will be dreadful, will pass.

I am a believer of soulful connections, that two individuals no matter what point in their lives, will always be connected whether that be through songs, movies, books, poems, or memories. I always felt that goodbyes were a way of saying, forever. This is only true for those who only explore surfaced relationships, however, for those who dare to break through the ice- a realization will occur- that some people just can not be separated, even if, in the physical form.

I led my whole life believing that we were just souls, travelling through space and time, embodying vessels, making memories, and that we would eventually figure out our purpose; I’ve come to realize that my theory was missing a simple truth…

Sometimes we connect with other souls, and that connection will continue into this life, and the next. I believe that there is no such thing as a goodbye.

Until the day that you have to part, temporarily, live your life fully. It is not worth being scared of loss, and it is not worth harping on the fear of departure. You must make your time in this life count, and realize that there is no true goodbye, there is only a physical departure.

86400

8 6400 seconds in one day
7 the seconds it takes to announce a prognosis
6 the seconds it takes for us to understand
5 the seconds it takes for us to reach for a hug
4 the number of heart beats I experience every second
3 I love you
2 the seconds it takes to say hello
1 the seconds it takes to say goodbye

1 the seconds it takes to not say goodbye
2 the seconds it takes to say hello
3 I love you
4 we’re gonna make it
5 always have time and patience
6 it is from him we arrive
7 it is from him we will prosper
8 6400 seconds in a day

We are given such a finite amount of time and whether we choose to give in to our vices of ego and ignorance, is our own fallacy. Hold yourself close to HIM and hold the ones you love closer, for only faith is on your side battling time.

You can’t control the cards you’re dealt, for you’re merely a gambler in an unknown arena. 86400 seconds in day, make them count, do what you love -with who you love and I promise,  you’ll be happy.

I love you.